Sunday, June 24, 2007





When I reached Grahamstown I gave Dominic Thorburn, Professor of the Printmaking department at Rhodes University a call. I explained I was a student of printmaking with a research grant from UWL to study printmaking in South Africa, and would appreciate it if I could have a tour of his facilities. We set up an appointment for the next morning, and graciously was received at the appointed time. Unfortunately the students were studying for mid-term exams, and so I was unable to talk with them and discuss their work. However, Dominic was very generous with his time, and gave me a lengthy tour of his facilities, and also pulled many prints out of the files to show me what his students were doing. I was very impressed with the extensive facilities offered, and couldn't help but hope the students were aware of how fortunate they were.

No comments: