Wednesday, July 4, 2007





I finally had to flee Johannesburg's five million people, and its associated hustle and bustle. I'm not a big city person! I headed due east with plans to tour the country in a clockwise direction until I ended up in Cape Town, and my flight back home. The plains to the east of Johannesburg were amazingly reminiscent of Wisconsin, with rolling fields of corn being picked by large John Deere combines alternating with fields of cows. The illusion was broken only by the occasional nuclear power plant and herd of ostrich. I ended the day's travel in the cool high elevation town of Graskop, overlooking the Blyde River Canyon. The small quaint towns in the area were offering stunning views, and I couldn't help but think this might be a nice get away in the future to concentrate on art. The Blyde River Canyon is huge, and offers endless viewpoints down into the canyon bottom, and then roads down to explore those mysterious areas seen from above.

No comments: